Information Collection and How it is used
- WWG collects personal information when you register with WWG to use WWG services or to post content on WWG.
- When you register we ask for your email address and certain optional information such as your name, birth date, birth place, gender, biographical information, ICQ/AIM/Yahoo/MSN user name, and personal interests.
- If you would like to obtain a paid (”Pro”) account, we will ask for your billing address, phone number, and credit card information.
- WWG automatically receives and records information on our server logs from your browser, including your IP address, cookie, and the page you request.
- WWG uses information for the following general purposes: products and services provision, billing, identification and authentication, services improvement, contact, research, and anonymous reporting.
IP Addresses are automatically reported by your browser each time you view a web page. Your IP address is stored in our user registration databases when you register with WWG.
IP addresses may be used for various purposes, including:
- To diagnose or service technology problems reported by our users or engineers that are associated with the IP addresses controlled by a specific web company or ISP.
- To tailor advertising based on geographic area or other information derived from your IP address. Aggregate information derived from IP addresses may also be reported to advertisers.
- To estimate the total number of users visiting WWG from specific geographical regions.
- To make sure that people are not voting for themselves or friends during contests or promotions.
A cookie is a small amount of data, which often includes an anonymous unique identifier, that is sent to your browser from a web site’s computers and stored on your computer’s hard drive.
- You can configure your browser to accept all cookies, reject all cookies, or notify you when a cookie is set.
- If you reject all cookies, you will not be able to use WWG products or services that require you to “sign in,” and you may not be able to take full advantage of the WWG service.
- WWG uses its own cookies for a number of purposes, including to:
- Access your information when you “sign in”.
- Keep track of preferences you specify while you are using WWG’s services.
- Display the most appropriate advertising banners, based on your interests and activity on WWG.
- Estimate and report our total audience size and traffic.
- Conduct research to improve WWG’s content and services.
- WWG lets other companies (such as Google) [that show advertisements on some of our pages set and access their cookies on your computer. Other entities’ use of their cookies is subject to their own privacy policies, not this one. Advertisers or other entities do not have access to WWG’s cookies.
WWG uses web beacons to research certain usage and activities of the WWG web sites. The information collected through these web beacons is used to find out more about our users, for more accurate reporting, improve the effectiveness of our marketing, and to make WWG better. No personally identifiable information from your WWG account is collected using these web beacons.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
- When you post a message, your WWG ID or alias that you are posting under is visible to other users.
- If you post personal information online that is accessible to the public, you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties in return. WWG does not rent or sell your personal information. In the event that we collect your email address, we may ask you for your permission to sell this address or share it with our partners.
- Generally, WWG does not share personal information about you with other people or nonaffiliated companies without your consent except to provide products or services you’ve requested and in the following circumstances:
- WWG may be required to disclose personally identifiable information under special circumstances, such as to comply with subpoenas, warrants, court orders or legal process or to establish or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims;
- WWG displays targeted advertisements based on personal information that is exhibited in people’s profiles.
Editing and Deleting Account Information. Security.
- You can change your WWG Account Information, at any time, if you have trouble please email help [at] worldwinegroups [dot] com
- We may send you certain communications relating to the WWG service, such as service announcements and administrative messages, that are considered part of your WWG account.
- You can delete your WWG account at any time from your account page; however, please note that your identification, billing and contact information may remain in WWG’s records for some period.
- We limit access to personal information about you to employees who we believe reasonably need to come into contact with that information to provide products or services to you or in order to do their jobs.
- Your WWG Account Information is password-protected.
- In certain areas, WWG uses SSL-encryption to protect data transmissions.
WWG may update this policy at any time for any reason. If there are any significant changes to how we handle personal information we will send a notice to the primary email address specified in your WWG account or by placing a prominent notice on our site.
If you have questions or suggestions please email help [at] worldwinegroups [dot] com or you can contact us at:
World Wine Groups, LLC
Customer Care - Privacy
3830 Valley Centre Drive.
Suite # 705-611
San Diego, CA 92130
Effective Date: May 1, 2008.